Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Internship#13

Choice 2: A process at my Internship
1. Making the diets. First, Ed (the animal keeper) and I must make the diets to feed the animals. This is the day feed. There are different animals that get fed at different times. Here he is cutting up different veggies to feed to the various birds at the ranch.

2. Feeding the animals. Now, normally you would just place the dish in the cage and let the animal eat; but this baby andean condor needs to be hand fed to learn people are good, and to be tame around people. Hence, why Im holding a rat while the condor rips its guts out. This is actually really fun. Now, the condor could easily rip my fingers off, but she doesnt. Shes really gentle and sweet.

3. Dishes. Yay! Best part of the day. (Not) Well, after we feed the animals we collect old bowls of theirs, and we clean them. We have to soak them in bleach water for ten minutes, by law, and then wash them by hand. Which is what I did.

1 comment:

  1. this is really cool! I love the process you showed! I never would have thought about the dishes afterward, how many dishes did you have to wash?

    ReplyDelete